11 May The Power of a Mother’s Love is Christ-like
Bible Text: John 15:7-15 |
(1) Any mother would lay down her life for her children, she works hard to provide for their future and spend hours on them to demonstrate her sacrificial love just as Jesus demonstrated in His own life for us. A mother’s love will always point back to God – Deut. 6:6-7: Being a mother is a very important role that the Lord chooses to give to many women and a Christian mother is told to love her children – Titus 2:4-5.
(2) Children are a gift from the Lord – Psalm 127:3-5, therefore a mother cares, nurtures, affectionately embrace them and meets their needs and tenderly befriend them. These qualities are unique gifts from the hand of God. Availability – Deut 6:6-7; Involvement – Eph. 6:4; Teaching – Psalm 78:5-6; Training -Prov. 22:6; Discipline – Prov. 13:24; mothers are to model with integrity, living what they say – Deut. 4:9; Prov. 10:9.
(3) Those whom the Lord blesses to be mothers should take the responsibility seriously because they have a unique and crucial role in the lives of their children, from pregnancy to infant to child to adolescent to teenage to young adult or even adult. While the role of motherhood changes and develops, the love, care, nurture, and encouragement a mother gives to her children should never cease.
(4) We find God is compared to or related to motherhood: God comforts as a mother – Isaiah 66:13; Protects as a mother bear -Hosea 13:8; Gathers as a mother hen -Luke 13:14; mother eagle -Deut. 32:11-12; mother in labor – Isaiah 42:14; giving birth to the nation Israel -Deut. 32:18. So motherhood is not merely a biological function but it is an attitude of love demonstrating the nature and character of God.
(5) A child should never feel as if they need to earn a mother’s love, this will leave a void in their heart all their life. A mother’s love should be given unconditionally and it will be an opportunity to influence the next generation by what we do every day as a mother. If love is withheld , a child will look for it in many ways throughout his/herlife time. A loving mother is someone who puts her children above her own needs and wants.